HealthRight International is a global health and human rights organization empowering marginalized communities to live healthy lives. Since its founding in 1990 by the late Dr. Jonathan Mann, HealthRight has worked in over 30 countries with current projects in Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the United States. Our goal is to build lasting access to health, helping to realize the right to health for excluded communities. We focus on 4 priority populations: migrants, adolescents, sexual minorities, and women and children. In Kenya, HealthRight is working in several North Rift Valley, ASAL, Nairobi and Kilifi counties to address issues of maternal and child health, reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, and other communicable diseases of high burden such as malaria and TB.
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager will be responsible for the design, coordination and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation, research, and learning framework for all HealthRight projects in Kenya. He/she will develop a systematic monitoring framework to improve the qualitative and quantitative evidence gathered by the project teams and ensure the consistent use of M&E approaches and tools by project teams. The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring overall coherence of monitoring and reporting tools; and coordination of data compilation from different HealthRight projects and will take lead in M&E functions for the Mental Health project. He/she will also provide monitoring and evaluation technical assistance to all Country projects. The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager reports to HealthRight Kenya’s Associate Programs Director (APD), and works collaboratively with the M&E Advisor (US-based) and he/she will be required to frequently travel to all HealthRight program locations across the country.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
M&E design and learning:
- Assist in developing of projects log frame matrix, particularly in the areas of performance indicators and their measurement
- Assist in the development and/or finalization of the projects Work Plan and keep them updated in accordance with project activities and timeframes.
- Develop the overall frameworks, for projects M&E, mid-term project reviews, impact assessment, final evaluation, develop project Performance Monitoring Plan with relevant data collection systems.
- Roll out and maintenance of all our data management systems (Dharma/BAO platform).
- Review the quality of existing data in the project subject areas,
- Develop baseline data for each project component and for all project indicators.
- Develop a plan for project-related capacity-building including training on M&E and for any computer-based support that may be required.
- Ensure that detailed and feasible monitoring plans are developed that: i) provide an indicator matrix, ii) consider ethical and safe collection and storage of data, iii) consider data quality audits, vi) consider storing, protecting and sharing project documents;
- Develop tools that aid documenting, storing and sharing lessons learned that have implications for refinement of best programmatic practice.
Implementation of M&E and coordination:
- Collect data on a regular basis to measure achievement against the performance indicators.
- Maintain and administer the M&E database; analyze and aggregate findings.Support project progress reporting, project mid-term review and final evaluation.
- Identify areas where technical support to project teams is required. Organize refresher training on M&E as required.
- Identify lessons learned and develop case studies to capture qualitative and quantitative outputs of the project.
- Provide advice to Programs Director on improving project performance using M&E findings.
- Conduct field monitoring visits and document learnings and share lessons
Work with the project’s support staff to ensure the effective and smooth implementation of the project.
- Produce reports on M&E findings and prepare presentations based on M&E data as required.
- Check that monitoring data are discussed in appropriate forum and in a timely fashion in terms of implications for future action. If necessary, create such discussions to fill any gap.
- Provide M&E inputs for regular analysis and action planning meetings to (1) compare data against project milestones, targets, and quality expectations across project sites; (2) identify issues requiring concerned staff attention;
- Extract lessons learned from projects, systematically document and make easily accessible to staff;
- Perform other duties as may be allocated by supervisor.
- Degree in Monitoring and evaluation, Impact measurement, Project Management and planning, statistics, social sciences or related field.
- Master’s degree is an added advantage.
- At least 5 years of work experience in an M & E role, designing and implementing monitoring, learning and evaluation tools and systems;
- At least 5 years of work experience with monitoring and evaluation related to health programs especially for vulnerable and marginalized populations.
- At least 5 years of experience with quantitative and qualitative research methods, fielding surveys and leading primary data collection exercises;
- Experience working with MoH and County governments.
- Experience in research and analysis, statistical analysis, strategy development, mainstreaming, and capacity building;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with diverse teams;
- Excellent creative and conceptual skills;
- Knowledge of core computer packages e.g. Microsoft Excel, Access, SPSS, EPI-INFO, EPI-DATA, STATA, NVivo, Atlas.ti, MAXQDA, or Dedoose
- Track record of strong commitment to sharing knowledge, documenting experiences, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit;
- Ability to travel within project areas as required.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their cover letter and CV to the following address clearly stating the position you are applying so as to reach the undersigned on or before June 19 2020.