Alive Medical Services (AMS)
Founding and Mission
Alive Medical Services (AMS) was founded in February 2007 as a non-profit, non-governmental medical centre in Makindye Division, the most densely-populated area of Kampala. AMS is one of the highest-volume HIV clinics in Uganda, cummulatively serving over 17,000 HIV-positive clients, including mothers, children, youth, and key populations.
AMS is open 24/7 and provides all services to the clients for free. We are working towards a world in which those in need of medical care have access to state-of-the-art medical services provided with love and dignity.
We hope to eventually eliminate AIDS in Uganda. And by integrating the socio-economic needs of our clients with HIV care, we are working steadfastly to achieve the UNAIDS 90-90-90 goals by the year 2020.
Core Area of Services:
- Comprehensive HIV prevention, care, treatment and support, including provision of ARVs for over 13,000 HIV-positive clients
- We record over 18,000 client–visits every quarter
- HIV testing and counselling for about 8,000 people per year
- Laboratory testing and treatment for opportunistic infections, TB and other diseases
- Maternal and child health services
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Focus on key populations through moonlight clinics in hotspots, targeting commercial sex workers and the LGBTQI+ community in order to reduce new HIV infections.
- Psychosocial and peer support, including music training, IGA, nutrition, clean water, legal aid, youth empowerment, community engagement, etc
Most of our clients reside in Makindye Division of Kampala, but a good number also come from various parts of the country. AMS has served over 566,000 beneficiaries with comprehensive services in the past 11 years.
Budget and Staff size
Our 2018 budget is $ 1,967,103 and we currently have 76 members of staff.
MOH, KCCA, CDC/PEPFAR/IDI, Keep a Child Alive, RAWCS, PUF, DAK Foundation, EJAF/IHAA/CHAU